Wednesday, March 28, 2012

FROM THE W. TEXAS DESERT TO THE HILLS OF E. KENTUCKY


Dahleen/East TN and Eastern KY
March 2012





This Little Fellow was Doing a Little Dumpster Diving 
Behind the Hanger at the Base in Jenkins, KY



1 Mar 2012...After a week off, it was time to hit the road again.  As much as we like to travel, it was good to spend some time at home catching up on things and sleeping in our big bed.  Greg says he likes the mattress in the motor home better, but to me it is too hard.  Neither of us had a hard time getting some much needed rest.
 
27 Mar 2012.. Gregs next assignment was at Jenkins, KY (located one hour and half from anywhere.  LOL.  After making a list of what to do with our stuff off we left to Jenkins Ky.  The travel was relatively short, compared to the long 2.5 day treks to TX, at approximately 5 hours.  As we drove through I-40, then Hwy 81 to Tri Cities International Airport in Kingsport, TN, I picked up the rental car and followed Greg the remaining way to Jenkins. The scenery was beautiful. the red bud trees where blooming all along the highway and you can see that spring is near.
 
We drove through Wise Va. along Hwy 23 to Jenkins KY  reaching our destination for the next week.  After we got the motor home settled in, Greg and I decided to explore the town in the rental to familiarize ourselves with the surrounding area (especially me so I would not get lost when I needed to get out).

A couple of days later, Greg had started his usual work schedule (nights), so, while he slept during the day I explored the area and took pictures.  Then, I remembered I needed to look for upholstery material to finish up the couch cushions in the motor home.  I had looked for material in Texas, with little success, so I figured, why not?  I searched on my smartphone for an upholstery shop and came across one not too far away in Wise, VA.  I used the navigate feature on my phone to wind my way off the main drag to a driveway between two houses.  The shop was located in the back of one of those houses.

It was in a mobile home that was converted into an upholstery shop.   I walked into the shop and met the owner Mag Mullins.  She was in her late 60s, spoke with a real country accent, and constantly had a cigarette in her mouth.   We talked for a little while, then I her asked to show me her fabric books.  After quickly looking through a couple of the books, I asked her if I could take them with me to see if Greg had a strong opinion on any of the choices.

I returned the next day back to Mullins Upholstery Shop to return the books while Greg slept during the day.  I had found some regular material at a local store that I could use with our existing (ugly) bedspread to make a new bedspread.  I asked Mag if she would allow me to use her machines to sew it and she was very kind to allow me to do so.  I was so excited to do something constructive, and have somewhere to go during the mornings while Greg slept.

So for a whole week I woke up early, got dressed, and went to Mags for 4-5 hours a day working on my project.  I had a blast visiting and being taught different sewing techniques needed to work on upholstery.  Mag enjoyed my company and we became very good friends after having known each other for such a short period of time.  My project (the bedspread) turned out great… ....Greg thought it was cool the way I had integrated the new material into the old spread. The time had come for me to return to Tennessee and Mag was very sad to see me go.  I enjoyed my time at Jenkins with Mag.  She will be a good friend and I will make sure to keep in touch with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment