Friday, July 20, 2012

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT !!!

20 July 12
Paris Mountain State Park
Greeneville,  SC




 Small lake near the campground headquarters.





Well, it has been a while since I had a blog rant so maybe this is overdue.  We headed back to Paris Mountain State Park in Greenville, SC again.  I was scheduled to work the night shift for the next week to 10 days, and I was looking forward to the peace and tranquility that we normally have when staying in state parks in the motorhome. 

That wasn’t going to be the case this time.  It wasn’t too long after we arrived that we noticed that every single camper coming into the park had multiple dogs.  Now, it is not unusual for some of our camping neighbors to have a dog, or even a couple of dogs.  And don’t get me wrong, I like dogs….I have had many dogs throughout my life and they all became a big part of the family.  But, when every single campsite has multiple dogs you begin to wonder what the heck is going on. 

As it turns out, there was a big “dog show” at the Convention Center in Greenville on the weekend, and folks had started arriving early to enjoy the area.  That’s cool.  At least it is cool until people in the campsite next to me pull up with 13 dogs.  Yes, 13 dogs !! …. all in dog travel cages (prisons)….all yelping…..all the time….all day long….while I try to sleep after flying night vision goggles all night long.  Dahleen did say that the dogs calmed down during night (big deal….I was working then).
  
Note: Dahleen could sleep through a 7.5 earthquake and I am a light sleeper who ALWAYS sleeps with ear plugs.  

I spoke with the owners and explained my situation….while they did listen to me and acted like they cared….nothing changed.  I went to the park office and asked if there was a limit on the number of dogs per campsite.  The lady said she wasn't sure, but she thought maybe two was the limit.  She then asked me if there was a problem, and I told her about the 13 dogs being kept in cages all day and night; and about them barking all day while I tried to sleep after working all night.  She acted truly shocked that anyone would bring 13 dogs into a campsite.  She assured me they would check into it.  

I left the office thinking the park rangers would handle it…..nope.  Nothing.... except continual barking from next door, 25 feet away.  All.   Day.   Long.  Wednesday.  Thursday.  Friday.  Saturday.  Sunday…..and yes, they stayed an extra day after the show was over.  Monday.

A most miserable, tiring, sleepless week.  Oh, and the funny thing (hahahahahaha) ……the park rules state there is a 6 person limit per campsite.  Guess you can have 50 dogs if you want, but you’d better not be a father and mother with 5 kids.  



Beautiful, wooded, winding roads throughout the park.  
Kinda challenging for a motorhome passing another motorhome.  :-)


 Home for a couple of weeks.



View from our outdoor dining room.  Motorcycles ready for the beach in the trailer.



 Our quiet neighbor.....unlike the loud, annoying ones directly next door.  








No comments:

Post a Comment